Today, India is the second-most populous country in the world and is the world’s largest democracy. Hindi is the official language of the state, however, there are several regional languages that are written and spoken in India. While Hindi is the official language in the country, the nation has a large number of urban educated citizens who read and write English fluently. English is not only used in business but also in common areas such as markets, hospitals, and metros etc. All important signage is also in English.
India is a secular country where a majority of the population in India are Hindus. It is a vast country that offers different climates dependent on the region. Northern and Highland regions have extreme climates during summer where temperatures can reach mid 40 degrees Celsius during the day. India has a large coastline in the South and that region experiences mostly subtropical climates. The heaviest Rainfall in India is during the monsoon season (June – September).
The Capital City of India is New Delhi, situated in Northern India, while Mumbai situated in West is known as the business capital in India.
Other important cities with an expat populations are:
Bangalore – IT and BPO companies
Chennai – Manufacturing and BPO companies
Pune – IT, BPO and Manufacturing
State of Gujarat – Manufacturing
CXC Global provides a legal and compliant employment structure in India to allow contractors to engage in legitimate consulting activities while in India. We offer the following range of services:
CXC assists with Work Permit applications
CXC Mobility Services and Contractor Care Management support your arrival and settling in India
CXC assists with FRO Registration
CXC assists with opening a bank account
CXC prepares the Revenue Registration (PAN Card)
CXC generates the Pay slip and Year End Tax Statement
CXC can file the Annual Tax Return, if requested
Foreigners working in India need to possess a valid Employment Visa. The Employment visa (or E visa) is required before you proceed to travel to India for work. In most scenarios the employment visa is endorsed in the name of the company that is sponsoring your employment in India.
Some important guidelines:
- Employment visas are issued for up to 2 years
- The minimum salary payable to a foreign worker in order to be eligible for the employment visa is $2,500 USD per month.
- It is very difficult to change the category of your visa. A student or business visa cannot be converted into an employment visa without first leaving the country.
- Any expat with a visa for a period of more than 180 days needs to register themselves with the FRO (Foreigners Registration Office) within 14 days of arrival into the country.
- The terms of your visa are generally non transferable.
- In cases where there is no change in the employer, then an in-country extension of the employment visa is permissible.